Tuesday, March 10, 2015

That's a wrap

I've been trying to figure out what to say to summarize my experience with OPW and GNOME. To speak and write about these things is never easy since they have a tendency to come out as synthetic, cheesy, and runny as the nacho cheese sauce one finds at your local ball park. However, I feel very grateful to have been chosen to participate. In all honesty, I have to wonder what was developed more, the Keysign application or myself. The experience has added so much to my personal programming toolbox, including specific programming tools to a broader knowledge of FOSS.

Similar to many others, I had tried to find an appropriate place to begin contributing to FOSS before starting the OPW program. I still have a myriad of bookmarked posts and websites all devoted to getting involved in open source. It's pervasive nature as a topic suggests that most people encounter similar barriers when trying to find a good starting point. Fortunately once you gain some momentum, it is so much easier to conserve or transfer that energy to a parallel aspect of a current project or to a completely new undertaking. This, perhaps, is the broader implication of my experience. I now have that momentum. I would like to give a big thank you to Tobias and Marina for  answering all of my questions and fostering a supportive environment. I would also like to thank the GNOME community for making OPW possible.





No comments:

Post a Comment