After the last blog post, my next order of business was to get the client and server sides working properly on my machine (note this information should have been its own blog post a while ago), which wasn't too difficult. I did run into a problem in which xdg-email uses a grep command that is not compatible with the Thunderbird mail client and thus the attachment with the signed key information fails to be included in the email. Putting this aside, perhaps what was more challenging was to get a handle on the codebase. My plan of attack was to run both the client and server side and to use the logs to track the flow of information. It seemed a little overkill at the time, but I annotated the logs so that every time there was log entry I could see which function was called. I am so glad that I took the time to do this, it has been more helpful than I would have thought. Not only was it a great aid in understanding the source code, it has been a useful resource in my current task. The following is a link to the log when using the server side:
With the next link showing the log for the client side:
I know this might not be possible to do for other projects, but I would definitely do something similar such as a flow chart or anything to track where the program is running. Alas, onto the current week.