Monday, January 5, 2015

Mini update

Progress! When I first started the task of working with Avahi to announce the fingerprint (mostly completed by AM) and then only download the information if the fingerprint is a match to the fingerprint to be signed, I have to say I wasn't very confident in finding a solution. It's seems that I am inching forward and getting closer.

The last few days I was able to get AM's code up and working. Now, I feel like I can answer that yes it is definitely working. As a test, I can run the server side with one fingerprint while entering different fingerprints in the client side and it does not appear to affect which fingerprint the server side announces. In addition, I was able to get the avahi.txt_array_to_string_array to display as something that resembles English. However, even though the command spells out exactly what it is doing, it took me a bit to realize that it was displayed as a string representation of a list including all the brackets, commas, and quotation marks. A simple for loop converted the string array into a regular eight character string representing the end of the fingerprint. I'm not sure this is the best way to go, but I feel like this is something that can be ironed out after the main functionality is met. With a few additional modifications I was able to get that piece of data into the on_new_service function of the MainWindow.py file. Why do I want this data here? My thought is that I can modify the verify_service function to check if the announced fingerprint matches the entered fingerprint of the GetKey section. I think this will work since if I manually add one fingerprint into the verify_service section and then choose a different fingerprint in the client side, it rejects the client side and turns off the key server before downloading any information. So that's where I am currently, trying to get the last eight characters of the fingerprint in the GetKeySection into the verify_service function of MainWindow. I think this should not be so hard, but my brain hurts a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment